Monday, February 9, 2015

Well, that's a nice surprise!

Thanks to Joseph's placement of the diaper bag in the front seat of the car (upside down, sigh) and the subsequent leakage of allllllll 6 oz of hot water that I take with me everywhere for Baby Ruthie's bottles, forcing me to run back inside the house after strapping all 5 clowns into their car seats and get MORE boiling water to take with us.....

....I was actually inside of the house instead of driving away when Mike called home to tell me that we'd just gotten an email canceling gymnastics practice (why I was loading up the kids into the car at 2:45 pm today).

So the kids are back in the house, happily playing with their legos.   The babies are napping.   And I'm sitting down to blog.   Surprise, surprise.

Theo's paperwork for finalization is STILL not done, apparently.  Sigh.  I filled in all of the blanks, signed all of the forms, wrote out the essay answers and attached all the original copies of our homestudies (and updates), marriage license, and photocopies of all of the documentation from his home country.......only to get there and find out that even though she (the clerk) told me when I picked up the blank forms AND it only said "copies" of the documents from his home country on the checklist that she gave me.....she needs to physically see the originals (which are really just certified photocopies, but I guess they're "originals" to the US) of those forms before she can accept our paperwork.  Trying not to be annoyed, but considering I was there in person talking to her AND had double-checked that I understood her checklist before leaving the office, I'm slightly peeved.   One day this child will be a US citizen and our legal son and we can go visit my family.  One day.  

It's still snowing outside, but Theo's speech appointment wasn't canceled this morning, so we were out and about already once today.  I thought about canceling on my own, but we've had to do that so much recently because he was sick, I just didn't really want to cancel it again today.   A quick stop at the big ol' warehouse store after speech, and I had my first pleasant surprise of the day.

Why is it that you always get the comments about your kids on the days when you really don't feel like you deserve them?   I've been fighting off a migraine all day (it's just hovering....threatening to move in completely), the kids are responding appropriately.  Namely, loudly.  It's not a *bad* loud, per se - they're not yelling at each other and fighting.   But, migraines don't know the difference between goofy loud and angry loud, you know?   By the time we'd made it through speech and then the store and over to the attached gas station, I was totally flustered.   It's hard to think when your head is throbbing.

So, I'm standing there, shivering, and pumping gas, and an older gentleman pulled up next to me.  He told me that he'd seen me and the kids in the store, and that he just really wanted to compliment me on my family.  He just kept going on and on about the boys and how it was "obvious that they care about each other" (?!?! not my first observation, but, hey, whatever!).   It was nice to hear, and very affirming, but I always wonder - why doesn't this happen when the kids actually ARE well-behaved?   Is this always a sympathy pat-on-the-back and not honesty?   I dunno.  Just an observation.

We booked vacation plans the other day, and now I'm starting to brainstorm activities for our drive.....all 23 hours of it (pre-kids driving time, so we're anticipating closer to 30 hours of travel time).   I'm contemplating breaking my "no electronics in the car" rule for personal mp3 players for the older rascals.   Do you have one that you love for the kids to use?   Just a simple one that can play music and/or audiobooks would be best.   No internet access, and preferably reasonably priced since I have to get 3 of them.  Link me up!


Alright, I think I need to give in and make some coffee and hope this headache goes away!

No comments:

Post a Comment