Friday, February 6, 2015

Quick Takes: Mommy's Magic Trick and more!







Linking up with Kelly again today!

Single-parenting for the past few days and the next few days, so this has got to be quick.....here we go!





1.

In the Kitchen


Tonight's Dinner.  I made a double batch so that I could freeze some and give some away, and there's soooooo much food in my kitchen right now!     I'd take a picture, but I'm lazy and haven't actually made the burritos yet.   The filling is made, but I kind of stopped there for awhile.  Naptime was preptime, and actual dinner-making-time isn't here yet.   This is a family favourite though - the kids love it and I love how easy it is to make a ton and freeze for a future meal.  (Heidi's note:  I double the spices, though.  Without that, it seems bland to us).






2.

At School

This week has had a lot of "school on the go" days, and we also did a few movie afternoons with the weather and a certain sick little boy.   The biggest Circus clown is currently reading/learning about Ben Franklin, and it seemed kind of like Divine Providence that Baby Girl would just so happen to wake up and not want to go to sleep and instead want to have a middle-of-the-night party and I would get the urge to flip on the TV (NEVER happens, because we don't have cable, so there's nothing on in the middle of the night!) and it would just so happen to be left on PBS (okay, this happens a lot, haha) and this show would be on.  I let the kids watch it again the next day, and they were fascinated!


(Okay interesting graphic to choose, YouTube, but it's "Secrets of the Dead:  Ben Franklin's Bones")





3.

What I'm Reading

Mike's been gone the past few days and I've still got a few days ahead of me, and what that translates into around the Circus is READING TIME FOR MOMMY!  I decided to start reading my friend's book, Winter's Fallen, and have loved every second of it.  It's engaging, easy to read, and it's crazy refreshing to have a "chick flick" kind of book that doesn't have a raunchy sex scene every five pages.   Go check it out!!





4.

In the Gym

Alright, I'm still struggling with finding the right time to workout.  Someone inspire me.  What do you do?  HOW do you work it in?  I need to get my brain in order, which is definitely the biggest problem, but I've got some sort of mental block as to how to make this happen.   Help me!






5.

Clown Update

Hmmmmm...Theo-Rio is back to full steam.  Well, as full steam as a little boy with no immune system in the middle of a Maine winter and who's exposed to germs over and over and over again at preschool.   But full steam for him.   The rest of the kiddos are happy to be back to a semi-regular daily life.  I'm trying really hard to stick to lots of sleeping and napping times to keep their immune systems going strong, so I'm limiting what we do and where we go.....but we're not quarantined at home anymore.  For now, anyways.

Nicholas is SPEEDING through learning to read, so I think I need to get looking for a good deal on a Nook (the simple touch ones).  Each boy above him has gotten one when they could officially read, and I'm thinking my goal (as his teacher) is going to try and get him reading officially by our May vacation so he can have a Nook in the car like the big kids.   Fingers crossed!

The crawler has also started climbing stairs to get out of our sunken living room.  Yikes!






6.

What I'm hearing....

The script of Big Hero 6, as the boys re-enact it in an attempt (I think) to convince me to purchase it on iTunes for tonight's family movie night........






7.

The Week in Review, aka Mommy's Bag of Tricks



Do you see these?

Magic beads, y'all.  Magic beads.


These are whole allspice beads.   From the spice section of your local grocery store.  Well, my local grocery store.  But you can find them on YOUR local grocery store's spice aisle, I'm sure of it.   

Want to know why they're magic?

See that cutie patootie baby there?  Do you see what's around her neck?

Yeppers, my baby wears a necklace when she's awake.   (she's a mouther, so I take it off when she's sleeping so she doesn't get to it before I get to her after she wakes up).

She smells like pumpkin pie.   It's delicious.

You know what else she's started doing since I got off my lazy butt and finally made her the necklace that I have been talking about making for MONTHS now?

Sleeping.

Oh glorious sleep, how I missed you.

She's also cutting TWO teeth right now.   Her gums are swollen and purple/bruised, and the teeth are pushing their way through.   Until two nights ago, she was waking up every 2 hours, not wanting to eat but wanting to be held and only sleep in my arms.  Typical teething behaviour.

Last night and the night before?  She slept seven glorious hours straight.  Seven, y'all.  I feel like a new girl over here.

You can read more about allspice necklaces here, from the friend I first learned about them from, but let.me.tell.you.  If you have a teething child, you *need* to try these things.  I was totally skeptical until a friend gave one to me with Grahaminator (who was cutting molars at the time and miserable) and my life was changed forever.  For-EV-er.   Suddenly we were sleeping again and everyone was happy and man, those teeth popped through so fast!   Flash forward 3 years to Baby Nicholas, and another allspice necklace, and another set of teeth popped through with NO medications and with lots of sleep.

Magic, y'all.  Magic.  You must read about it and try it!!   Seriously.  TRY IT.


****

Okay, the natives are growing restless and are scavenging for food again, so I need to get my burrito-buiding-game on and get movie night going.

Have a great weekend!!



No comments:

Post a Comment