Sunday, December 7, 2014

How about a food/exercise post?

As I sit here feeling super duper gross, thanks to bacon (yuuuummmm - what can I say?  Br Rex came over for brunch.  That means we HAVE to have bacon, haha) and donuts from the Italian bakery (double yummmm).

Alright.  The baby is 6 months old.  I've done a lot of half-hearted restarts of the diet/exercise routine since she was about 3 months old, but then, well...life.   Teething, bionic, non-sleeping babies.   Nightmares in toddlers that required middle-of-the-night cuddling.   Too much coffee.   Not enough prep time or grocery shopping time that ends up leading to reaching into the pantry and grabbing something, ANYTHING, to eat.  Arctic weather making it oh-so-very-hard to get out of my nice, cozy bed and workout.   You get the idea.  Life happened.

But I'm still in that annoying "Nothing fits because maternity clothes fall off and make me look still pregnant but pre-maternity clothes are not comfortable yet" stage, and I'm tired of it.  I'm not buying more clothes, so I have to find a way to make the ones that I have fit somehow and getting pregnant again isn't really a great option when it comes to fitting into my clothes.  ;)  My blood pressure wouldn't appreciate that method of fitting into my clothes, haha.

I'm also starting to have what I now think are gall bladder symptoms when I "cheat" and eat off of the diet I want to be eating (90% plant-based, just a little dairy and meat sprinkled in).    I used to think that things just "didn't agree with me" and forgot about it, but now I'm thinking that my years of symptoms of indigestion, heartburn, etc, were related to my gall bladder more than anything else.   Hindsight and all that jazz.....

So.....back on the bandwagon I go.   Who wants to join me?  I'm sure I'll blog my way through it, and I'm going to be doing a lot of experimenting in the kitchen to try to find a way to work substantial, healthy meals and snacks into our crazy hectic lifestyle.   I think sharing some of that with you guys will help keep me motivated.   And who knows...maybe a few of you will join me and we can commiserate   celebrate  together!    


My biggest struggle is, if we're going to be honest and real here, directly related to what I think is maybe some form of situational depression?   I don't know.  I don't think it's really depression, at least not clinical depression.   Maybe conditioning?   I've always been the fat kid - my whole life, I was the girl who would suck in her stomach to try and make her measurements (stupid presidential something or other in school where they'd measure the fat on our bodies and see how many sit ups and pull ups and whathaveyou that you could do and then everyone would compare their numbers) just a tiny bit smaller so it wasn't AS big compared to everyone else in the class.   Or the kid who would be teased in gym class.   Or the kid who could NEVER borrow clothing from anyone else because even the pants that "are kind of big" didn't fit me.  I think my brain has been kind of conditioned to think that I will forever be that fat girl and so why even bother?   Then, throw in all of the "big is beautiful" campaigns that kind of reinforce the "it doesn't matter" whisper in the back of my mind, and finding motivation is just, well, hard.  

You see, it *does* matter.   At least for me.   Not because I need to have a skinny waist to feel good about myself, but because I don't want to have surgery.   I know I know, it's so common and "not a big deal," but for me, it is.   I'm married to a surgeon and all, but I don't really ever want to be on that operating table.   Ever.   For lots of reasons, haha.

Add in the fact that I don't really want to go through the whole blood pressure thing again during pregnancy, and that we're most likely NOT done with having babies, and the number one predictor of recurrence of all of that fun stuff is obesity, and well.....I need to get back on the bandwagon.   

So, here it goes.  Climbing back up on the bandwagon.   Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment