Monday, December 8, 2014

Even the best laid plans...

...can be totally thrown out of the window when a stomach bug comes to town.


I'm not exactly sure just WHAT has gotten into our house, but it's shown itself as random puking for about 3-5 hours from a child for one day.    I thought we were going to bite the bullet and have a night o'puking last night from everyone, but believe it or not, everyone slept from about 11 pm to 8 am.   Well, other than the baby.  But she just got up, ate, and went back to bed, like normal.


And today, we've had nothing.    Except crackers and applesauce because tummies were still a little queasy.   And lots of cuddling and resting on the couch, under blankets.   And Legos.  Lots and lots of legos.  Right now, the rascals are watching Charlotte's Web (two of the rascals are performing in it, barring any sickness, this Friday), and I'm boiling noodles to throw into a pot of chicken noodle soup.  Well, fake chicken noodle soup.  There's no meat in mine, haha.  Just beans.    So I guess it's bean noodle soup?   

So, my exercise plan hasn't happened yet.  And my diet has been less-than-stellar as I try to clean up from the puke and keep everyone happy.   I guess we'll start tomorrow for real.  

I need to go get myself ready for Mass - as soon as Mike walks in the door, I'm running out, so we can both make it today (it's a holy day of obligation).  Since the kids are all claiming that their tummies feel "funny",  they get to stay home, but I feel fine and Mike can be home to relieve me, so  there's really no reason that I should miss it.  Besides, I *want* to go.  How could you not?


I'm feeling all disjointed today.  I think this is going to end up like a quick takes, haha.  I read a blog earlier today about why moms are so constantly tired.   According to the authour, it was because we're always in a state of hyper-vigilance, always watching out for the danger hiding around the corner.   (I'll go hunt down the link in a minute and post it here).  There's so much truth in that.  My brain is constantly surveying the scene and weighing the dangers and "triaging" the kids.   Sometimes I wish that I could turn it off, but no such luck.....While the authour focused mostly on exhaustion, I think it has another effect on a mom.   We're disjointed.   We're constantly in ten different places at once - and our brain is all over the place.   At least, it feels that way to me.   I've got ten different conversations going on in my head:


"Where's the baby?"

"Who's screaming?"

"What is that small thing on the floor ?  Oh it's a lego.  I need to get that before the baby does."

"What am I making for dinner/lunch/breakfast today?   I wonder if I have _____ in the freezer still?  I need to go look."

"Oh, we're low on clean clothes.  I need to start a load of laundry."

"Oh, right!  _____ emailed me last night.  I need to go respond."


All at the same time.   

Now, I guess I could be totally wrong and this isn't just a mom thing.   I've never been inside anyone else's brain except mine, so maybe guys do this.  Maybe no one else does this, and I should make an appointment with a psychiatrist.  ;)   I don't know.  All I know is that I don't remember being this distracted before having kids, or feeling so "busy", mentally, before having kids.  So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

All that was a long, rambling way of saying that there's really not a point to this post.  I've got so much swirling around in my head that I need to find a way to express, but I'm not quite there yet.   Instead, I'm jotting down notes about things I want to look into and read up on before writing about (first up:   I missed pretty much everything this summer/fall because I forced a "news fast" on myself and focused solely on new babies and the family, but I heard a REALLY interesting interview the other day that was related to Ferguson and I can't stop thinking about it.  It was the first interview that I've heard from the perspective of language - why we need to use (or stop using) personal names when talking about issues.  It was fascinating and I need to write about this whole idea of "names" but I'm still thinking through it), and trying to compose our family Christmas poem (I let the boys "help" today, but have had a ton of editing to do since then.....we don't need that much poop in our poem, thank you, boys), and clean up from sick kids.   There are lots of sticky notes around the Circus right now.......

....and with that, I need to draw the rambling to a close.   Mike should be home soon, so I really should get out of my hoodie and into something a bit more appropriate for church, haha.   I'll leave you with a picture.   This one picture totally captures my life.  This is my kitchen.  I'm not sure when it happened, but I know for a fact it was Joseph who did it.   This kid cracks me up.



No comments:

Post a Comment