Thursday, June 30, 2016

Brain freeze

Well, not really.   But kind of.   I guess you might call it writer's block.   Basically - I haven't blogged because, well?  My life?  It's not super interesting.  I mean, I don't think it is.  It seems pretty ordinary to me.

I get up, I get the kids up.  (Well, if we're being honest, the kids get up and then I stumble into the kitchen after them and pour a delicious cup of Mystic Monk coffee).


I feed the kiddos.   I get them dressed, or instruct them to get dressed on their own.

I prod the older ones to start schoolwork, and I take the littler ones to preschool.   (I'll probably blog about our choice to send the littler ones to preschool some day.   If you're interested).  


Preschool pick up, and then it's home for lunch, or it's time for lunch on the road.  


Gymnastics, gymnastics, gymnastics is the theme for our summer afternoons, so we do that and then turn around and come home.

Time for naps, a bit of clean up, chores for the kiddos, and any leftover schoolwork.   Dinner prep and serve.   Bedtime.  (chorus of angels, this is your cue)



Straighten up, get the baby to bed, and then prep school and lunches for the next day.

Go to sleep, and do it all again.

Add in the fact that I'm trying to avoid hot-button issues because everyone's already on edge with it being an election year and I just don't have the energy to deal with that, and there's not much left to blog about, is there?

It's a pretty mundane life.   I love it, but it's pretty boring to anyone else, I would think.   We're all kind of doing the same thing, aren't we?  This crazy thing called life - routines and monotony and alarm clocks.   

So, how do we shake it up?   Or do we?   Are we just racing through life, aiming for some golden goalpost that is always moving?



Or is this everyday boringness the meaning of our lives?   

I really don't know.   Some days, I feel like I'm just running through the motions, wasting the time here on earth, letting everything pass me by and just getting older by the minute.


And then other days, I see something like this happen:


A glorious moment in time - my oldest and my youngest, sharing a laugh.

And for a minute I think maybe, just maybe, this is what it's all about.    The every day routines that give them security.   The joy of friendships.   The laughter between siblings.   The responsibility of chores.   The new information and ideas found in their schoolbooks.  The act of caring for one another.

This is really what it's all about, right?   Trying to leave the earth in a generation of well-formed, compassionate, joy-filled human beings?

And so, I stumble through life, marveling in the contradiction that is life:  The boring is also the amazing.    The mundane is of the upmost importance.
Yet, I still can't bring myself to blog my way through it - it's too complex.   It's too simple.   It's so unique and marvelous, our little family.

But yet, we're just the same as anyone else.   And "just the same" doesn't really make for great reading.   Or for sage advice.   Or amazing recommendations.   Or mind-blowing nuggets of wisdom.

Just my boring little corner of life.

This may be my Circus.....but it looks pretty much just like yours.



No comments:

Post a Comment